Hey readers, how’s it going? Got some shock-value news for you – I’ve actually used the gym in my building more than once in a week! You’d think it would be more of an incentive to just get dressed in gym gear and TAKE THE ELEVATOR down to the internal gym than to actually go jogging on the street. Better even than packing a bloody gym back with work clothes, getting a train, and going to the gym near work in the mornings, i.e. getting up at some ridiculous hour like 6:30?! (Hey, I live in the city. Waking up a half an hour before work starts is one of the perks, and I pay dearly for it, so don’t look at me like that.)
But yes, I explored my exercise options this week, with different forms of indoor and outdoor activities. Turns out, jogging in my neighbourhood isn’t the best idea. For one thing, it’s very hilly. I don’t like hills. Sure, I don’t gasp like a choking mongoose when running uphill anymore because my lungs are clogged, but it’s still not a pleasant experience. Also, you get weird looks. From trendy people. Who are walking faster than you. In heels. No thanks.
Next up was the Fitness First near work. This is the gym I usually go to, and it’s held up pretty well so far. I even tried the one in Newtown on Saturday – it’s like McDonald’s – you know what you’re getting.
Finally, I took a good long couple of sessions to explore the gym/pool in my building *from hereon in referred to as the ‘home gym’*. I came to the conclusion that about 90% of the stuff I do at Fitness First can be achieved using machines in my home gym. The pool, as previously noted, is more of a paddling pool than a lap pool, which is unfortunate. However, there is a sauna and a steam room down there. Noice. Coupled with the fact that I have never seen any of the other residents using the home gym, you don’t get that awkward ‘oh god, people are staring at me sweat like a rhino’ feeling.
In a general spirit of wellbeing, I am considering taking up either yoga or pilates. What are everyone’s thoughts on both? Did it work for you? Was one better than the other? Do you really have to go to the classes, or can you get away with the DVD at home? Any other suggestions?
My last rhetorical question for the evening: I was playing my ipod this evening while training, and I wondered – what kind of music do people listen to when they exercise? I haven’t been bothered to make up a training playlist (hell, I haven’t even been bothered to finish transferring all of my music onto my computer) so occasionally I’ll be running hell for leather on the treaddy, when all of a sudden a nice Norah Jones ballad begins to lilt softly over the headphones. Just curious, is all.
Weight: 117.8kg
Muscle percentage: 38.2%
Fat percentage: 39.4%
Goal progress: 24.4%
Getting there....
Okay, why the funk have you been even considering gym memberships etc when you have a gym in your building? You numpty. All you need is someone to spot you and keep you motivated.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I got a program to go through my MP3s and add BPM to the tags so I knew what songs I could jog to.
You NEED a training playlist. Mine is filled with metal, I find System and NIN very motivating. Anger helps you bash exercise out.
ReplyDeleteAlso - you are going so well. Am proud of you. I did yoga, I liked it - but it's more for your stretching and core, so in terms of weightloss? Not so much. x